So, it started, the Saturday before the Super Bowl. I had logged on to check out what was going on in the Facebook, "The Phelps Phive & Phriends" I saw someones link to the picture of Michael with the bong. My first initial reaction was, "Oh, thats fake. Whatever." Then I thought about it some more and looked at the picture several times and thought back to stories that people had posted when they met him and how his bevahior was towards people. I dont like to jump to conclusions, without having some facts. I went back and looked at the picture one more time and analayzed it. Same brown watch, same beard, same ears, and the hat is exactly the same way he wears it. Thats when it hit me, it IS him. Now my next thought would be, "Oh, he just goofed up and was at the wrong place at the wrong time or just gave into peer pressure." I pretty much just took with a grain of salt and brushed it off not expecting for it to be big news. Boy, was I wrong. Super Bowl Sunday, it was all over tv, almost like it was a broken record. I couldnt change the channel without the media ripping Michael up. There were times when I would see a story on CNN, ABC or MSN, that I would just say, "Leave the poor kid alone."
It was on ABC that I heard his offical statement about what he did. I respect him a lot for coming out and stepping up admitting that he made a mistake. Not everyone lives perfect lives where they dont make mistakes. He has had a DUI and now this.I am a year younger than him, and I will admit that I have made plenty of mistakes too. I've made bad choices, but have I learned from them? Yes, I have. Michael is human, let him be. I dont drugs nor will I ever, but I do like to have fun and hang out with friends. When I was about 12, I made it my goal to stay drug free because I knew people who were my age then who got into drugs and I didnt want to be like them which is why today I am the way I am. I've heard people saying that they no longer think of Michael as a role model anymore. My view on that, is that he still IS not only because of his achievements, but how he chose to deal with the picture of him smoking. I know I learned how to better deal with things because of him. He still is an amazing person, very down to earth and humble. He knows where he came from and where hes going.
The media just wants to tarnish his image all over a picture. Its bad enough, that my local news here where I live always have something to say about Michael, but even on Spanish new channels its making a buzz. Last summer is when I really got into the sport of swimming. I knew who Michael was when he first came to the scene and when his DUI happened, but that didnt affect me. I think last summer is when I became a bigger fan. I became a fan because he just seemed like an all around guy, really cared about promoting the sport of swimming and keeping in mind his goals. Now that I became a fan of his and the sport of swimming, it has enable me to branch out, meet other fans, as well as other swimmers. If you would have asked me in 2004 about who would be swimming in IM's and relay's, I probably would have just said Michael Phelps, but now its a completely different story. Now, I would probably say, "Ryan Lochte is swimming in a 400 IM." or "Garret Weber-Gale is swimming a short course in Austin." I wouldnt know any of those people or courses if it hadnt been for Michael.
I do believe that Michael has done a lot to promote the sport of swimming and can still go far. Though, its a long way away, I am looking forward to the 2012 Olympics. The 2012 Olympics will be far better than 2008's so I think. I am confident that 2012 will bring Michael bigger and better things. My question now is why is everyone getting all riled over a picture of Michael smoking a bong and yet even months after it happened why is out all over the media? The media just wants him to look as if hes a bad person, like he should never make a mistake and has to lead this perfect life style. Seriously, I think the media is blind. On the flip side, some media hasnt been bad or ripped on Michael as much which to me is like a breath of fresh air. I wish I had seen Seth Meyers on "Weekend Update", but my electricity went out, but I was able to see the video online the next day. At that moment when I saw it online, I was thinking, "Whoa! Seth Meyers took the words out of my mouth." To see that, was pretty awesome. I've been a fan of SNL since the mid 90's and have seen how sometimes they make fun of celebs, but seeing this skit was just pure genious and down to the point very honest.
Enough, about my views, on the what the online poll results really mean. Remember, how at the beginning of this blog I dropped a few percentages. Well here it goes.
On the Febraury 12, 2009 poll, the question was:
Do you think Michael Phelps should face criminal charges after a picture showed him smoking from a marijuana pipe?
- 27.99% said 'Yes'
- 72.01% said 'No'
On the February 2, 2009 poll, the question was:
Do you think Michael Phelps should have some of his endorsement deals taken away after a photo showed him smoking marijuana?
- 58.01% said 'Yes'
- 41.99% said 'No'
As I've told people, my adminstrator at school and friends, I am a proud supporter of Michael Phelps no matter what. No, I dont support the whole smoking marijuana, but hes a grown man and knows what he did was wrong and was a bad call on his part. In one interview, he said that he will learn from his mistake and use it to teach others. Is this going to make stop supporting him? No, hes going to make plenty more mistakes in life and considering his DUI, I am still here arent I? :o) I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. Do I think his 3 month suspension is fair? I agree with Michael its fair, but during this time off, I know he will work his heart out in the pool and take this whole negative situation and turn it into a postive. We all learn from our mistakes and in doing so, that makes us a better person.
Till next time
Supporting Michael Now & Forever!
Peace ya'll!

No comments:
Post a Comment